I love food either eating in a restaurant or cook for myself a small dish that is simple. For me, the Ceviche is a simple recipe that doesn’t take you a long time to prepare. I am no chef or expert on nutrition I am just a guy who loves food, and I have a passion for it. There much way to make ceviche in South America and each one has their version in their own country. The one I am going to give you is the Ecuadorian version, and then I prepared. There is a saying in Ecuador that this dish can cure you the worst hangovers.
Ok maybe I am exaggerating I know that cannot be true but I swear to grandmother it works. It was morning New’s Year’s Eve in Ecuador in the capital in Quito. I had the most annoying hangover that makes you want to kill yourself from the pain. A couple of my friends and I, we went to this place where they say is the best place to get a ceviche. I tell you with one bowl of this miracle of dish I was pump to do anything and to drive myself to my house.
But not the less here is how I prepare the Ecuadorian ceviche:
- 2 pounds, about 1 kilo, of cooked shrimp (if you buy it raw, I suggest you cook it in beer, coconut milk or spices for a fantastic flavor)
- 2 red onions sliced very thinly
- 4 tomatoes sliced very thinly or diced
- The juice of 10-15 limes
- The juice of 10 oranges
- ½ cup of ketchup or ½ cup of freshly blended tomato juice (for a fresher style ceviche)
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped very finely
- Salt, pepper, and oil (sunflower or light olive oil)
- The first you need to do is to peel the shrimp and then cook them in a pan (Your choice of spices).
- With the limes and the orange, you squeeze to pull the juice out.
- You dice The tomato, red onions, and the cilantro into little pieces.
- Gather all the ingredients and mix them in a large bowl
- Let it settle in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours and enjoy with a side of popcorn, chiles (fried green banana or green plantain chips) or patacones (thick fried green plantains).
That is how prepared a delicious meal, and it is the easiest way to make it.